James had a unique earthly relationship with Jesus, but his letter clarifies what the Christian life should look like for us all. The Book of James is filled with practical wisdom for Christians, calling us to live out genuine faith through good works, but it is also rooted in rich theology. Perhaps more than any other book in the New Testament, James emphasizes the application of Christian belief.
This 13-session study examines the core message of James: the relationship between faith and works. In our own ability, we cannot stand in the face of adversity. Without faith we could never find the strength to trust God. We would never be able to see above the trials we meet and to keep our eyes focused on the King while counting our trials as joy. This is the essence of James. We don’t work to be saved; we work because we are saved. Faith apart from works can never be sustained.
- Gain a better understanding of the Book of James and apply its practical wisdom for all Christians.
- Learn how to deal with trials and temptations, understanding that enduring adversity ultimately brings joy.
- Learn to extend mercy, not harsh judgment, to others.
- Realize that words are important and must be used for good, not evil.
- Learn to fight against the passions and desires at war within us.
- Recognize the importance of praying for one another in sickness, health, suffering, and joy.
- Accept the challenge to speak truth to our brothers and sisters who wander from the faith.
- Come to humbly view all of our days as lived under the sovereign will of the Lord.